It goes without saying that this wonderful event could not be staged without the dedication and hard work of our team of volunteers. Behind the scenes the event relies on more than 800 volunteers to assist with drink stations, construct our unique of courses, get our runners underway from the start, greet them at the finish line and cheer the runners on their way.
Volunteering is a terrific way to get involved, be part of the team and make your contribution, helping to raise vital funds for the 2023 Good Friday Appeal.
Lunch is provided, and all volunteers receive a free volunteer tshirt and capVOLUNTEER NOW
Before completing the volunteer application, please read the following key information:
- By completing this application you are allowing the Herald & Weekly Times and O2 Events to capture the information you provide for the sole purpose of filling volunteer positions for the 2023 Herald Sun/CityLink Run for the Kids. Your contact details will be included in the Herald Sun/CityLink Run for the Kids volunteer database and will be used to communicate with you about the event. Your contact details may also be provided to emergency services or other organisations as required to facilitate medical assistance in the case of an emergency
- Volunteers will be asked to confirm that they have read the Herald Sun/CityLink Run for the Kids 2023 Volunteer Terms & Conditions.
- Volunteers involved in the 2023 Herald Sun/CityLink Run for the Kids will be covered by the Event’s Volunteer Insurance Policy.
- Volunteers for the 2023 Herald Sun/CityLink Run for the Kids must be 16 years of age on 19 March, 2023 in order to assume a volunteer role. If Volunteers are under the age of 16 on 19 March, 2023, they must be supervised by a parent or guardian while completing their Volunteer shift.
- Volunteers for the 2023 Herald Sun/CityLink Run for the Kids will be required to participate in a training process, taking place in the lead up to the event. Further details regarding training will be provided.
Volunteer Position Descriptions
Location: On Course
Course Marshals are assigned to designated areas along the run courses to help ensure that the course is safe for participants to compete on. The course is divided into sectors with each featuring a Sector Leader and Team Leaders to assist you. Sector Leaders will be issued a radio and will brief and deploy individual marshals to the course.
Drink Station Assistant
Volunteers are deployed to drinks stations on the course and within the Recovery zone to ensure that runners are provided with drinks while participating in the event. Volunteers set up drink stations before the runners arrive by laying out cups and filling with water. They then provide drinks to runners, and remove empty/used cups.
Start Line / Finish Line Marshal
Volunteers help direct entrants to the correct marshaling zone areas at the Start line. Each zone is clearly indicated with feather flags & signs corresponding to coloured race numbers. When the runners cross the finish line they will be exhausted and excited. They will most likely want to stop, rest and chat. This can create a very congested finish area. It is your job to congratulate and thank them but to then kindly ask them to keep moving as they need to pass through the back-up timing system to ensure their time is captured.
Location: Race Village
A specific Information Tent will be set up in the Village as a central point for general questions and enquires. Some volunteers are required to staff the tent, some will be positioned on stands to help direct people and others will wander through the Village and help answer people’s questions. Information assistants will also assist with distribution of Race Kits and finishers medals.
Baggage Services Assistant
Location: Race Village
A fenced baggage storage area will be set up in the village with entries at one end and exits at the other. Volunteers assist with managing the flow of participants through this area.
Location : Race Village
Volunteers will be responsible for checking in all volunteers for the event and providing them with lunch packs and tshirts