What is VIRTUAL R4K?
A virtual run/walk is a run/walk that can be completed anywhere adhering to the social distancing guidelines.
VIRTUAL R4K is an opportunity for entrants who entered the 2020 Herald Sun/Transurban Run for the Kids and committed to transfer their 2020 entry fee to the Good Friday Appeal, to complete their chosen distance and receive a Finisher’s medal.
When is VIRTUAL R4K?
Race Director Steve Moneghetti will be walking/running 15 km on Sunday, March 29, starting at 8.30am.
You can complete VIRTUAL R4K any time that suits between March 29 and April 30, 2020, subject to Government COVID-19 guidelines that apply at the time you choose.
When deciding how you participate, please ensure you are maintaining appropriate social distancing protocols, which includes ensuring you’re at a safe physical distance from those around you.
We welcome you to participate as a run or walk on your own, walking the dog or pushing the kids in the pram – however you choose – as long as you complete your chosen distance from your race entry (5.2km or 15km). For anyone who wants or needs to participate without leaving home, we will definitely accept treadmill runs, laps of the backyard or stair climbing.
At all times, please remember the health and safety considerations and don’t gather in groups, and if you are feeling ill, have recently been overseas or are currently in self-isolation or quarantine, please ensure you follow the advice of authorities and remain at home.
Current Government regulations around exercise:
Please refer to the below link from the Australian Government on how to practice safe social distancing:
Victorian Government recommendation (As at 22/3/20) on measures to reduce transmission of COVID-19:
For Victorian information regarding coronavirus, see the Victorian Government website here: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus.
How do I get involved?
To be eligible for a Finisher’s medal and random entrant prizes, entrants must previously have entered the 2020 Herald Sun/Transurban Run for the Kids and committed to transfer their 2020 entry fee to the Good Friday Appeal.
VIRTUAL R4K Entrants will be sent their race number, which you can choose to wear when participating in your VIRTUAL R4K. Please allow 5 days for this to arrive in the post.
- Download the Nike Run Club App (available for both Apple and Android devices) and create a Nike Run Club profile (takes a few minutes).
- Once your profile is created, send a friend request to VIRTUAL RUN FOR THE KIDS within the Nike Run Club app, so you can appear on the VIRTUAL R4K leaderboard.
- When you are ready to start your run or walk, just hit start on the Nike Run Club app home screen, and set off on your walk/run.
- When you finish your walk/run, hold down the pause button to complete your walk/run in the app.
- You can then review your time and distance, and share your VIRTUALR4K via social media. Remember to include #VIRTUALR4K.
Celebrate your achivement
Finisher’s certificates will be made available for download on the results page from midday on Tuesday, March 31, and entrants who appear on the leaderboard will receive an official Finisher’s medal in the mail within 28 days.
Share your involvement
Don’t forget to take a photo/video of yourself wearing your race number before or after your walk or run, and share it on social media using hashtag #VIRTUALR4K.
Please remember to have your account set to public so we can see your post – alternatively, email us a screen shot or photo and we’ll add it our online gallery. Please email pics to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are there prizes?
Yes, all participants in VIRTUAL R4K will receive a finisher’s medal
Top Tips for Virtual involvement
- Follow Government advice regarding CoronaVirus when planning your Virtual involvement.For Victorian information regarding coronavirus, see the Victorian Government website here: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus.
- Download the Nike Run Club App, register to use the app, and “friend” VIRTUAL RUN FOR THE KIDS
- Plan your route before you leave home so you know where you are going. DO NOT run/walk on roads. Stick to paths, parks and off-road locations.
- Take your mobile phone in case of emergency.
- Take a water bottle – remember there would be drink stations on the course, so you need to have something available.
- Don’t leave home without sunscreen and a hat or cap.
- Enjoy the sunshine, take some photos to share your event – and if you see other entrants out and about during your walk or run – give them a friendly wave – but keep your distance!
I’ve registered for the Virtual Run, but haven’t received my race number yet – what do I do?
The Race Office is sending out Race numbers as quickly as possible. However, please keep in mind you don’t have to have your number to complete Virtual R4K. You can either wait for your race number to arrive, or you can complete your Virtual Run without wearing it. Either option is fine.
My whole family have transferred their entry to the Virtual Run, do we all need to download the app?
No, as long as one of you records your time using the app, once you get home, please email the Race Office – email@example.com with the names of your family members and your time. Once we can verify it using the app, we’ll add your family members to the results list, where they will be able to download their certificate and make them eligible to receive their finisher’s medal.
I’ve recieved an invitation to a Virtual R4K challenge via the App, should I accept the invitation? Please accept the invitation for the challenge that matches the distance you intend to complete – either 5km or 15km. This will help us to manage the leaderboards across both distances.
I’ve finished my Virtual R4K, what happens next?
Please email a screen shot of your Virtual R4K time and distance to firstname.lastname@example.org. This will help ensure all results are captured accurately. If you have photos of your Virtual R4K that you are happy to share, please also send them to us by email.
Race Office staff will be monitoring results and uploading them onto the results platform. As per previous years all results will be published on the official results website, which will go live online on runforthekids.com.au as soon as possible.