Terms and Conditions
- The Event Owner, Race Manager and Promoter of Herald Sun/CityLink Run for the Kids is The Herald and Weekly Times Pty Ltd ABN 49 004 113 937 (“HWT”). The Event Organiser is Sport Events Projects Pty Ltd (trading as Sport Projects) ABN 63 613 291 991. “Event” means the 2018 Herald Sun/CityLink Run for the Kids to take place on Sunday March 18, 2018 which includes both the 15km Event and the 5km Event.
Entrant terms and Conditions
- All entrants are required to complete and submit an official entry form and pay an official entry fee. The entry fee will not be refunded if an entrant changes their mind about participating in the Event. The entry form is only valid for the person whose name and address details are listed.
- Each entrant may only submit one entry for the Event.
- Each entrant acknowledges that participating in the Event may involve a real risk of serious injury or even death from various causes including over exertion, dehydration, and accidents with other participants, spectators or road users.
- Each entrant acknowledges that (to the extent permitted by law) he or she participates in the Event at his or her own risk and in consideration of, and as a condition of acceptance of, his or her entry into this Event each entrant agrees to release and indemnify (to the extent permitted by law) the Event Owner, the Event Organiser, the Event sponsors and each of their agents, affiliates, employees, members and volunteers (“those indemnified”) from any and all liability (including without limitation liability in negligence) relating to an entrant’s:
- death; or
- physical or mental injury (including the aggravation, acceleration or reoccurrence of an injury),
unless that death or injury was caused by the reckless conduct or reckless disregard of those indemnified.
- Each entrant should seek medical advice to ensure they are fit to compete and this advice must be obtained regularly and with the specific demands of the Event in mind.
- Each entrant recognises the difficulties of the Event and attests that they are physically fit to compete safely in the Event and that they have not been advised otherwise by a qualified medical practitioner.
- If an entrant becomes aware of any medical condition or impairment that will be detrimental to their health if they participate in this Event, or are otherwise sick or injured prior to the Event, they must withdraw from the Event.
- Each entrant consents to receive medical treatment that may be deemed advisable in the event of injury, accident and/or illness during the Event. In the event of injury, accident and/or illness, costs of medical treatment and ambulance transportation are the responsibility of the entrant.
- Each entrant hereby acknowledges and agrees that their entry fee is non-refundable should they not compete and that fees are not transferable to future events.
- Each entrant acknowledges that they are responsible for their personal possessions and athletic equipment during the Event and related activities. The Event Organiser will provide a secure area in the R4K Village in Kings Domain for participants’ clothing. Valuable items including money should not be placed in baggage or left in the R4K Village and (to the extent permitted by law) no liability will attach to any person, corporation or body involved or otherwise engaged in promoting or staging the Event for loss or damage of personal possessions.
- The race kit will include a timing tag attached to the back of the race bib to enable each entrant’s run to be timed. Entrants must not tamper with the timing tag attached to their race bib. Timing services are provided by Timing Sports. The Event Owner and the Event Organiser take no responsibility for errors or omissions in the timing data. By participating in the Event and wearing the race bib, each entrant consents to the Event Owner, Event Organiser and Timing Sports collecting and publishing his or her timing data for the Event.
- All participants will be timed using electronic timing which will record the time elapsed between the participant crossing the start line and finish line. Official race results will be determined by the order in which participants reach the finish line in accordance with the International Association of Athletics Federation rules of competition.
- In 2018, the timing tags will be disposable. Entrants are not required to return timing tags at the end of the race.
- Entrants may choose to have their personal times for the Event sent to them via SMS (“SMS Service”) in which case they will be charged a fee of $2. Entrants who choose to have their personal times for the Event sent to them via SMS acknowledge and agree that their personal information (including individual race times for the Event, name and mobile number) will be used by the Event Organiser, Event Owner and Timing Sports in order to provide the SMS Service. The Event Organiser, Event Owner and Timing Sports will not be liable for any problems associated with providing the SMS Service due to mobile congestion, technical malfunction or otherwise, or as a result of issues associated with timing tags. The fees associated with the SMS Service will not be refunded if an entrant changes their mind about participating in the Event.
- The Event Owner and Event Organiser’s decisions will be final and no correspondence or disputes entertained.
- Each entrant agrees to obey and accept the Event rules and any other instructions of the Event Owner or Event Organiser or their nominees (whether announced on the day of the Event or otherwise).
- Entrants must ensure that their ability to participate in the Event is not significantly impaired by alcohol or drugs. Entrants must not behave in a manner that is offensive or aggressive, that may diminish the reputation of the Event (or of the Event Owner or Event Organiser) is contrary to law or is otherwise inappropriate. If the Event Owner or Event Organiser considers that an entrant breaches this clause, they may disqualify the entrant and direct the entrant to cease participation in the Event immediately and the entrant must comply.
- Each entrant consents to the publication and/or use in any form of media whatsoever of their name, personal information, timing data, image and statements in any context pertaining to the Event or otherwise during or after the Event whether for advertising, promotions or otherwise for no fee or remuneration.
- During the registration process, each entrant will have the option to either collect their Race Information Kit or pay to have it posted to their nominated address. Race Information Kit Collection will be from the Arnold Sports Festival located at Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre on Friday, March 16, 2018 or Saturday March 17, 2018 between 10am and 6pm. Entrants who choose to pay to have their Race Information Kit will have their Race Information kit posted to them via Australia Post. Race Kit mail outs will commence in February 2018.
- Subject to the maximum number of participants being reached, team entries and postal entries close March 2, 2018 at 4pm (AEDT) and website entries (other than for team entries) close on March 7, 2018 (AEST). Entry is not approved until the Event Organiser has processed payment and confirms entry by email.
- Each entrant understands that their entry form and payment is valid only for the Event and distance stated. Entrants must participate in the distance stated, and must commence the Event within the colour zone shown on their race number.
- If the Event has reached capacity and an entrant withdraws for medical reasons, subject to provision of a medical certificate, they may be permitted to nominate a substitute entrant to participate in their place. Approval for a substitute entrant is at the discretion of the Run for the Kids Registration Manager.
- A request for a substitute entrant can be made by completing a Run for the Kids entry alteration request form and submitting it so that it is received prior to March 2, 2018 at 4pm (AEDT). Entry alteration request forms are available by contacting the Run for the Kids Race Office by email at: email@example.com, and an additional fee of $15 is payable at the time the form is lodged. This additional fee will cover the administrative costs associated with processing the request form, and will not be donated to the Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal.
- If substitution is approved, then the substitute entrant must complete and submit an official entry form and submit it so that it is received prior to March 2, 2018 at 4pm (AEDT) to ensure that the alteration will be considered valid. Only the personal details of the person competing can be changed and the substitute entrant must compete in the distance stated in the original entry form and must commence the Event within the colour zone shown on the race number already issued.
- If an entrant is under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must read the Competitor Declaration and these terms and conditions of entry and accept them on their behalf. If an entrant is under 16 years of age they must also be accompanied by an adult when competing in the Event.
- The Event Owner reserves the right to make minor alternations to these terms and conditions up to and including on the date of the Event. The Event Owner may also make variations to the route of either course up to and including the date of the Event. Variations will be posted on the Event website, which entrants must review from time-to-time.
- Nothing in these terms (or any other terms relating to the Event) limits any guarantee, warranty or condition implied by statute that cannot be excluded. The liability of The Event Owner and the Event Organiser will (where permissible under statute) be limited to (at the discretion of The Event Owner or the Event Organiser), in the case of goods, the replacement or repair of the goods or payment for the replacement of the goods, and in the case of services, the resupply of the services or payment for the value of the services.
Additional terms and conditions for teams
- There are three categories of teams:
- Corporate: Corporate teams are those with six or more runners representing a corporation, company or an organisation who are all bona fide employees of the corporation, company or organisation being represented.
- Community: Community teams are those with six or more runners representing a sporting or social club, school or non-profit organisation who are all bona fide members of the club, school or organisation being represented.
- Family and Friends Team: Family and Friends teams are those with six or more runners who are participating in the event in support of one another.
- The Event Owner may at any stage require any or all participants in a corporate or community team to provide evidence to the Event Owner’s satisfaction that they are an employee or member (as the case may be) of the organisation that they are representing, and/or to execute a statutory declaration confirming their valid participation in the team. The Event Owner may in its sole discretion determine if a person is a valid participant in a corporate or community team, and may disqualify a team if any person in the team is not deemed by the Event Owner to be a valid participant in the team. The decision of the Event Owner will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Subject to the maximum number of participants being reached, team entries close on March 2, 2018 at 4pm (AEDT)
- All team entries must be submitted by website only. Each team must nominate a team leader who is over the age of 18 years. This person may complete entry details for all team members on the team entry page.
- Once a team is created, individuals may complete the entry process and elect to join an existing team. Alternatively, the nominated team leader may complete the entry process for all participants in their team. This includes supplying the email address of each member of the team. Team members without an email address will not be able to enter.
- When choosing and referring to a team name, teams must choose a name that is unambiguous and not offensive as it will be used at all times for consistency, to assist with administration of entries and processing of results.
- Teams must consist of a minimum of 6 participants. There is no maximum number of team participants. However, in order for a team to be eligible for team prizes a minimum of 6 team members from that team must participate in the 15km course. Team prizes (if applicable) will only be awarded on the basis of the first six team runners in the 15km course.
- All individual members of the team must be aware of and have read the Competitor’s Declaration and these terms and conditions of entry. By participating in the Event participants will be deemed to have read, understood and accepted these terms and conditions of entry and the Competitor’s Declaration. Where a team member is under 18 years of age a parent or guardian must read the Competitor’s Declaration and these terms and conditions of entry and accept them on their behalf.
- During the registration process, each team entrant will have the option to either collect their Race Information Kit or pay to have it posted. Race Information Kit Collection will be from the Arnold Sports Festival located at Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre on Friday, March 16, 2018 or Saturday March 17, 2018 between 10am and 6pm. Entrants who choose to pay to have their Race Information Kit will have their Race Information kit posted to them via Australia Post. Race Kit mail outs will commence in February 2018.
- The team leader must only provide the details of team members who have consented to being team members and having their details supplied on their behalf by the team leader. Where a team member is under 18 years of age the Team Leader must have the consent of that team member’s parent or guardian to supply their details.
General terms and conditions
- The Herald Sun Feeling Great section will be running training programs for competitors leading up to the race, including tips from champion marathoner Steve Moneghetti.
- For entries accepted prior to November 30, 2017, Early Bird Registration Fees apply_Of the $55 entry fee for participation in the 15km Event, $30.25 of each entry fee is collected on behalf of the Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal. Of the $50 entry fee for participation in the 5km Event, $27.50 of each entry fee is collected on behalf of the Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal. For entries accepted from December 1, 2017 Standard Registration Fees apply. Of the $60 entry fee for participation in the 15km Event, $33.00 of each entry fee is collected on behalf of the Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal. Of the $55 entry fee for participation in the 5km Event, $30.25 of each entry fee is collected on behalf of the Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal
- Start time for all entrants in the 5km Event is 9.30am. Start times for the 15km Event are 8.05 am for wheelchair participants and 8.10am for all other entrants.
- A time limit until 12.30pm for the completion of both courses is imposed. Participants in the 15km Event must complete the Westgate Freeway westbound by 9.30. Entrants who fail to complete the Westgate Freeway by 10.30am will be transported by bus over Bolte Bridge to the Footscray Road drink station.
- The maximum number of participants in the short course (5km) has been limited to 14,000. The maximum number of total entrants (including entrants in both the 5km and 15km courses) has been limited to 40,000.
- Results will be posted on the Event website and may be published in the Herald Sun
- Entries will not be accepted on the day of the Event. Race pack collection will not be permitted on the day of the Event.
- Photographs, taken by Herald Sun photographers, will be available for participants to purchase by calling the Herald Sun on 03 9292 1234, or by visiting heraldsun.com.au/shop. If you tick yes in the box on the online entry form HWT will send your details to Supersport Images Pty Ltd (SSI) so that photographs of you may be tagged on the SSI website.
- Presentations for both events will commence at 11.30am at the R4K Village in Kings Domain. Presentation of the random draw prize for the Mazda3 will commence at 11.30am (AEDT).
- Everyday Hero Pty Ltd provides an online fundraising and entrant sponsorship facility for entrants in the Event.
- During the registration process, entrants will be given the option to have an online page automatically created on their behalf and a link to their page emailed directly to them. If the entrant selects ‘yes’ to the option to have an online fundraising page automatically created, the personal data from their race entry, including name, address, telephone number and email address will be automatically provided to Everyday hero for the purposes on creating an online fundraising page. The link and login details for the online fundraising page will be emailed to the entrant within 7 days from completion of entry registration.
- At the completion of the online registration process, entrants will be given the option to create an Everyday Hero online fundraising page. If entrants have already created a page under paragraph a. above, they should not click on the “Good Friday Appeal” fundraising link on the confirmation screen or their E-ticket. If an entrant chooses to click on the “Good Friday Appeal” fundraising link on the confirmation screen or their E-ticket, the personal data from their race entry, including name, address, telephone number and email address will be automatically populated on the Everyday Hero registration page. Everyday Hero will not store an entrant’s personal information until the entrant has completed the Everyday Hero registration process. If an entrant chooses not to click on the Good Friday Appeal Fundraising link, no personal data will be provided to Everyday Hero (unless the entrant has already clicked yes to the Everyday Hero fundraising automatic page option under paragraph a. above), however entrants can still choose to create an Everyday Hero page at any time in the future by visiting www.runforthekids.com.au.
- HWT and News Limited companies collect information about you, including for example your name, phone number and contact details which you provide when registering for the Event, as well as information from data houses, social media services, our affiliates and other entities you deal or interact with for example by using their services.
We collect and use this information for the purposes of Event administration, promotion (including to provide you with targeted advertising based on your online activities), to improve the Event or future events, to notify you of future events which may be of interest to you (including future Run for the Kids events), or for any other purposes that we describe at the time of collection.
You can seek access to personal information HWT or other News Limited companies hold about you by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org, or by contacting the Privacy Officer on (02) 9288 3000.
HWT may disclose your information to the organisations set out below for Event administration purposes:
- Nike (prize provider – to enable prize distribution): You can seek access to personal information that Nike holds about you by contacting the Nike privacy office on (03) 9292 9333.
- Sport Events Projects Pty Ltd (Event Organiser – in respect of event organisation): You can seek access to personal information that Sport Events Projects Pty Ltd holds about you by contacting email@example.com
- Timing Sports (timing and registration software provider – in respect of timing entrants): You can seek access to personal information that Timing Sports holds about you by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jump Media and Marketing (Event PR):You can seek access to personal information that Jump Media and Marketing holds about you by contacting email@example.com.
HWT may disclose your postcode to the Department of Infrastructure to help with public transport scheduling for the Event. HWT may also disclose your personal information if you are a prize winner or otherwise as required by law.If you consent, your personal information will also be used for the purposes described in the relevant section of the entry form by these organisations:
- SuperSport Images(Event photography): You can seek access to personal information that SuperSport Images holds about you by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Everyday Hero (Online fundraising provider): You can access the personal information that Everyday Hero holds about you by emailing email@example.com
- Jump Media and Marketing (Event PR) You can seek access to personal information that Jump Media and Marketing holds about you by firstname.lastname@example.org.
The organisations set out above may transfer your personal information outside of Australia. If you choose not to provide information, the organisations set out above may not be able to provide you with services in relation to the Event. The privacy policies of each of the organisations set out above contain information regarding how you may access and correct the personal information that they hold about you, and how you can complain about how they collect or use that personal information.